The Porch Fairies are committed to supplying goods which are produced with more environmentally friendly processes, to reduce waste and increase recycling wherever possible.
- All their products are designed and produced in the UK, which greatly reduces the environmental cost of transportation.
- Greetings cards are now printed on FSC approved paper. The Forest Stewardship Council logo assures that they are made with, or contain, forest-based materials from FSC-certified forests or reclaimed sources.
- Wherever possible, the cards are printed using vegetable-based inks, which are made with vegetable oils such as soybean or corn oil, as a substitute for petroleum. Vegetable-based inks significantly reduce the amount of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) released into the air during printing.
- The Porch Fairies’ policy has been to stop all new printing with glitter since 2018, a process known as flittering. Selected cards are hand-finished using various embellishments (bows, gems or glitter glue) but this has been reduced by 80% in the last 12 months and will disappear completely when current stocks are exhausted.
- Protective wraps. They believe it is important to protect each card during transportation and display. However, they are now using biodegradable wraps which are made of PLA, a bioplastic produced from renewable sources like corn, starch or sugar. A truly sustainable biobased film, it offers various end of life options: incineration, recycling and composting. In addition, it can be recycled within the paper recycling stream. The previously used traditional wraps can still be recycled if they appear on existing stocks.
- The Porch Fairies have reused packaging for many years when distributing their products direct to customers or shops. They are continually changing their processes and if new packaging is adopted at any stage it will be recycled and recyclable.
- The Porch Fairies will continue to strive to understand where they can improve their products and processes to ensure they exceed expectations and anticipate environmental legislation.
Director, The Porch Fairies Ltd.
Last updated December 2020.